May 21, 2013

Home Again, Home Again, and a little about me...and Tate

I went to Minnesota for the long weekend. I hit the twin cities, Carleton college, and Rochester. I didn't realize how many people my family knew in Minnesota. We stayed at a friend's house and then traveled all over from there. I saw my best friend from childhood, who goes to Carleton College in Northfield. Tuition is a grand 54k a year and no one chooses majors until they're finishing their sophomore year. I suppose that's what happens in liberal arts colleges. I go to a state university where tuition is less and they want you to know everything you want the moment you step in the door, a philosophy that I find to be utter bullshit. No one knows what they want at the age of eighteen. I wish they gave us more time to explore and decide what we like, but if I want to do that I have to pay $54,000 a year, so I guess I'm stuck making uneducated decisions about my future. I just hope I don't end up suicidal at 40 because of my choice at eighteen. Also in Northfield, is a store that sells very good olive oil and vinegar. 

This week has been a lot of visiting with older relatives, something that is sometimes fun at most of the time just is really awkward. You have to laugh, or you'll end up crying, right? I really don't want to get old. Maybe life can take me out at 60 and I don't have to do the whole dementia thing, or if I do I hope I at least get to keep my sense of humor.


Either way, Minnesota was fun. It's nice to get away from Ohio for a while, even if they're pretty much the same place.


In a previous post, I wrote a biography for my friend Madison, and she so graciously wrote one for me as well.



Noelle is now a Biology major at the University of Akron. If you had asked her two months ago, she would have answered she was a Biomedical Engineer, part of the 80% of other Honors students who are studying engineering. However, Noelle decided to buck the trend and try something new. Since Noelle is no longer an engineer, she is not a member of any engineering clubs such as Eureka Honors Engineering or Women in Engineering. She enjoys procrastination, playing guitar, doing stuff on her computer, writing blog posts, and taking bad pictures of her friend Shirali, among other things. Noelle 'Wonder Woman' is known by other names, including 'The Asian,' 'Yun, and 'No Wiser.' To learn more about Noelle, visit her at her blog, her home, or her dorm.
Due to the popularity of the Madison post, I promised my friend Tate I would write her a bio too.


Taylor, or more often known as Tate, grew up in the harsh suburban streets of Massillon Ohio. As a child she enjoyed Star Wars, playing pretend, and running away from home with macaroni & cheese boxes in hand. Through her angsty teen years she enjoyed such bands as My Chemical Romance, and more My Chemical Romance. She also enjoyed a hippy phase, courtesy of a seventh grade English teacher. She has just finished her first year of college at the University of Akron. She is unsure of her major and has thought of everything from education to law to social work. In her free time Tate enjoys writing, reading, more writing, and watching Netflix. She currently splits her time between the city of Akron and her family home in Massillon. She has one brother, one boyfriend, and two dogs. 



~Noelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment