June 5, 2013

Some Summer Reads

There really isn't anything to update about though. I just noticed I haven't posted in a while. My summer has been rather uneventful the past 2 weeks. The highlight of my day was finding a coupon for $7.99 large pizzas at Dominos. They were delicious by the way.

The weather is getting nicer, although its been a little chilly for the summer. The summer sort of came early though. I'm used to being in school through the 2nd week of June. Work has been unexciting, but I basically am paid to do inventory, check stuff out, and then read books. I read two kids books yesterday and 3/4 of a teen book today. We're right next to the kids section so I just walk over and grab whatever looks interesting, or what I recognize from childhood. One of the books I picked up yesterday was called The Pinballs by Betsy Byars. It was my first "heavy" book. I think I was 8 when I read it. It's about these 3 kids in a foster home. The girl was beat by her step father, the older boy had his legs run over by a car by his drunk father, and the younger boy was abandoned by his mother and lived with a pair of old ladies, but then they died. The boy with the broken legs sinks into depression and the girl is really bitchy. It's a really good book though I read it a lot when I was little.


I'm really getting desperate for material here. Reviewing children's' books. A few other good books for anyone bored this summer who still reads this. 


It's Kind of a Funny Story, one of my favorite books I read in high school. I felt like I related a lot to the character. Craig's thoughts pretty much summarized my thoughts, the good and the bad.


Another good teen book, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I read it before it was popular for anyone that was wondering. I think it was 8th or 9th grade.


One last teen book, anything John Green is good (well except wasn't a fan of Abundance of Katherines, but that could just be me). The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns, are good too.


And for something thats not another teen book about depression, I had a bit of a theme through high school, Ready Player One. One of my favorites from last summer. Its sort of a geeky dystopian society novel, but were all a little geeky, right?

Since dystopian novels are all the rage right now I also want to say Hunger Games, The Legend Trilogy, and The Divergent Trilogy are also excellent. Maze Runner I found a bit disappointing. I also just finished a Jodi Picoult book. She's a bit of a guilty pleasure author. I'm usually not into literature that is aimed more towards the female gender, but I always read her. Nineteen Minutes and House Rules were my favorites. Just finished The Storyteller. Don't read The Pact unless you want to be pissed at the characters for most of it.

Anyway, hope is having a great summer.

~Noelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment