December 21, 2016

Boredom at Its Best: The Uneventful Life of a College Graduate

Sometimes I look back on my blog, I think about all the problems I thought I had, and wonder why I thought they were such issues. I think we all think that about our younger selves. Especially looking back on middle school. I try not to think about those years. A lot of things have changed in the last four and a half years, and a lot of things haven’t. Dead Flowers is still the best song ever, and Enya naps still happen, just in new cities.

I think the biggest points of this blog were “What should my major be?” and “How do I navigate the world of human beings.” I did finally decide on that first one. I got a degree in Digital Sciences from Kent State, not the University of Akron, where most of this blog was based. I went through 2 schools (3 if you count my high school dual credit) and 4 majors, and still only went over by a semester. I’m pretty proud of myself for that one. Now you can see why the “What should my major be” was such a huge question. In the end, after major three, I realized it didn’t really matter what I majored in. The amount of pressure I put on myself with that was ridiculous and really kind of pointless. I’m glad I didn’t major in psychology though. For all the talk I did about longing to be a psych major, I am glad I didn’t do it.

The second point, “How do I navigate the world of human beings.” I think that’s the one I still need to work on. I think the biggest thing that disappoints me about this one is the amount of people who leave. Not in a weird, dark way, but just in a life moves forward kind of way. Most of the people in this blog I don’t talk to anymore. Some out of anger, or pettiness. Some people were more acquaintances. People from class, or people that were friends of friends you hung out with on occasion. Most out of the pure fact that life moves on. It moves on and people go in different directions. It is still a let down though knowing that at one point they were in your Top 5.

I quit writing on this blog regularly a long time ago. It was a cross between having nothing to say and having everything to say but not knowing if I had the right audience. I have a niece now. She’s adorably cute and one of the best things in my life, but for the longest time I was so angry about it. There is still a lot of tension in my family how Vera came to be, and my sister and her current behavior, and I am still a little bitter about having to give up my bedroom. But one thing is certain, everyone loves that baby, and we wouldn’t trade her for anything.


I’ve had 5 addresses since graduating high school. As I move forward, I hope this next one will stick for a while. When I was a freshman (I think), I got a Starbucks card from a friend. It was one of those I love you, but most importantly Jesus loves you type of cards. I think I was deep in my overly obsessed major debate, so I shoved it into my accordion file of school stuff. However, every time I put away something for a new path in my academic life the card was there. I liked that so I left it. I think point three in this blog (of a serious tone) was probably God. Now I will admit I still haven’t figured that one out. I keep waiting for a feeling that its right, but it hasn’t come yet. I sort of figure I can’t force it, so I continue to consider myself still searching (or in the process as Shirali might say). Anyway, that card would remind me that people cared, and God cared, and one day I would find the right path, and graduate, and when I did I would have a free Starbucks on Madison.


I think this might be the end of this blog. I am not longer an uneventful college student. Life is moving forward, and so am I. 

Noelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment