March 11, 2014

Ordinary People

I have this habit of getting into semi philosophical conversations with my roommate. What makes us the same? What makes us different? I feel like we're all drones just waiting to all do the exact same things. I know we all have differences and obviously everyone isn't identical, but around here it seems like we all have the same goals. Get through school, get a job, have a family, live comfortably.  I don't know, maybe I am wrong. I feel like I spend my entire life in a bubble. I don't really know much beyond where I've grown up. I guess I need the time and experience to grow up, but it's so hard to do when there is the expectation to be like everyone else. Along with the expectation to be like everyone else comes the expectation of being different than everyone too. You have to be the best at being the same. Everyone's goal is to stand out so they can get the things that everyone wants. Wanting to be different makes everyone the same. 

With the nice weather we've had the last couple days, nightwalks have reemerged. One of my favorite things to do is just walk around Akron. It's nice to get out and stretch your legs and enjoy good company. The best talks and decision making happen at 2 am, and the experiences I remember the most are always simple things like car rides and walks around Akron in the middle of night.

Last night I went on a nightwalk where the topics for discussion were how well do we actually know each other, which I talked a bit about in a previous post, and how to socially interact with people with feelings. I've been mentally piecing together a guide to social cues since I've been at college.  I somehow got with a group of people who enjoy both feelings and touching, two things that are not my forte.

So what I have so far:

1. When someone is crying, you are expected to hug them, and apparently back rubbing is key.
2. If they look like they're about to cry, don't hug them yet, because then they will immediately start to cry even if they were holding it in efficiently.
3. When someone tells you they love you, don't say thank you, even awkward staring seems to be less awkward than a thank you.
4. When someone climbs into their bed and glares at you, it means you need to leave, they want to sleep.
5. Don't take insults personally, they're usually said out of love (or they are when I say them)
6. Don't be cocky when you do something well, but don't make people feel bad for being good at something either.
7. When someone puts themselves down, they're fishing for a compliment. (I don't like this one but it's a pretty well followed)
8. Everyone has a different approach to getting them to communicate when they are sad, they're usually not too difficult to figure out though. 

And of course there is always time for an existential crisis. No semester is complete without a test grade to make me question my entire existence. Well, I was already questioning it, because I sort of hit a moment of I need to figure out my life a few weeks ago, but something about grades always seems to mess with my head. I think they do that to everyone though. But yeah, why am I here? The never ending question...

I recently acquired a Polaroid camera. Unbeknownst to me, film is very, very expensive. Each picture is about $3. But it's cool that you get one shot, not like digital photos where I have a bunch retakes. You get what you get, and they all look so very 1970s.


Also another funny story, I may have made a joke about my university's campus food challenge, and dining services wants to give me a free meal and apologize. I may take them up on it. I'm thinking of making a list of grievances, so anyone with complaints, shoot me an email.

~Noelle

0 comments:

Post a Comment