February 25, 2014

Mid-Winter Schlump

I feel like it has been a really long time since I posted a blog post and since it is my traditional night shift, I'm gonna write one. I'm not going to guarantee it will be particularly good, but here it is.

The winter always has me feeling like I want out. Out of here. Out of Ohio. I want to get in a car and drive. Anywhere. Some people call it wanderlust, but I just think it's because I get bored to easily. I'm two years into school and I already want something new, but then again maybe I'm nineteen years into life and want something new. I always have this desire to be spontaneous, but being in the Honors college with a bunch of organized homework nerds (sorry guys), it never really happens. Going to movies takes a weeks worth of planning. We have a social network profile to just plan dinner. So anything unplanned is unhappening.

However, we did have a tiny moment of spontaneity this weekend and went the park. Only in Ohio can you play in the park at 5pm and then loose control of your car on the ice of the driveway of someone's house at 2am. It was a really good time though. Swings can make any day a success.






I guess being bored is better than last semester. At this time last semester I was freaking out about everything, but when you're bored you aren't really stressed. I don't know which is better though, stress or apathy. The semester is going by fairly fast, with us being in Week 7 already. This week marks the 3rd full week we have had of school. Two holidays, and three snow days. I'm getting sick of the snow, I want spring!

February always seems to be the month where everyone seems different. Everyone is sad. Maybe it's from lack of Vitamin D, it is winter in Ohio. Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a thing. It happened last year too, and in high school. It's nothing new, but every year it's still a let down. It's like were all chugging along just fine and then February hits and everything goes downhill. I think I just get a little disenchanted by everyone. It's sort of like I get used to them all one way, and then in February all of their faults seem to emerge. But that's life, and your friends are your friends, you get them when you like them and when you don't, or else you would be a pretty crappy friend. Sometimes I think about how the people I spent the most time with, I didn't know for the first 18 years of their lives. It's sort of like walking in after a movie has started and trying the figure out the plot. You missed the set up, and now you have to figure out what happened when you weren't there.

In other less metaphoric news, I got two CDs in the mail today. I've been waiting for these albums since November so I was pretty pumped. I've been listening to them all day. So with all my credibility, here is my review.

Run River North, the group consists of Korean Americans from the San Fernando Valley. They're sort of a rock/folk alternative indie type group. They're sort of a Christian band, but I didn't know that until I was about 4 songs in, and I was already hooked. This seems to happen a lot, Sleeping at Last, NeedtoBreathe. As long as the title of the song isn't something like "Enter Jesus" I'm good with the genre. My favorite song on the album is probably Foxbeard. I also really like Growing Up, Monsters Calling Home, Fight to Keep, and Beetle.



The Family Crest, another band I sort of stumbled upon, is an orchestral rock indie band. They have really cool instrumentation in all of their songs. The band itself is about 7 people, but then they have another 100 or so people on the album with them playing everything from the guitar, to organ, to saxophone, along with a bunch of choir members. Favorite song on that album is Love Don't Go, which was already on one of their EPs and is probably the best known song. I also really like There's a Thunder, Howl, and the bass part in The Water's Fine.



Happy listening,
Noelle






0 comments:

Post a Comment